CLASSIC VEGETABLE SOUP
One of the easiest, most versatile meals you need in your arsenal.
This guy is hearty and delicious and freezes well. Don't be shy to make a double batch.
Vegetable soup is one of the most versatile meals out there. Feel free to skip ingredients you don't care for and add ones in that you love. Switch up the spices and take a tour of the world.
This recipe is for classic vegetable soup.
But here is just a little inside tip...
Adding some soy sauce and or toasted sesame oil to your broth will blow your mind.
Simple but adds so much flavor.
I also recommend enjoying it with a delicious piece of sourdough sliced really thick!
Make sure to invite all your pals over because this recipe makes a lot of soup!
Printable PDF 👇🏼
1 T olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 quarts of vegetable broth
2 cans 14.5 oz diced tomatoes - or fresh from the garden is even better
4 medium potatoes (russet, yellow or red)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup green beans or asparagus
1 cup corn
1/4 C soy sauce, optional
1 T toasted sesame oil, optional
1. Add 1 T olive oil to a pot on medium heat and sauté onions until translucent.
2. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for an additional 2-4 minutes. (Add a little water to the pan to help them soften and keep the garlic from burning if you need to.)
3. Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, potatoes and salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling, add green beans or asparagus, reduce heat and simmer for 25 -30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
5. Add corn and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- You could freeze this in single serving portions and have a great last minute lunch or dinner when you don't have time to cook or when you get back from a trip! Don't sleep on this time saver.
- I like use frozen corn always and green beans if they aren't available fresh.
- If you choose to add some soy sauce or toasted sesame oil, do it in step 3. ( 1/4 cup soy sauce and/or 1 T toasted sesame oil. I promise it adds so much flavor to your broth. Especially if you are using a broth made from vegetable scraps like my zero waste vegetable broth.